Sunday, September 14, 2008

By the spoonful...

Deborah Madison's pesto recipe from Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone is the best. I think it's the butter she adds at the end, but I find myself eating it by the spoonful. Or using as a spread in sandwiches; or on pizza; or layered with ricotta on foccaccia (that's how we ate it in Italy back in the junior-year-abroad days). It certainly doesn't last very long.

This time of year, when the basil is going crazy and the garlic is just starting to come in, I try to make a few batches. I hear that if you leave the salt and cheese out, you can freeze it to enjoy in the winter, altho I can never make it last. Check it out:

My Pesto (adapted from D. Madison)

1 to 2 plump garlic cloves
(be careful with fresh garlic, too much can really overpower everything else and make the sauce rather painful to eat)
Salt
3T pine nuts
(I've also used walnuts and pecans)
3c fresh basil leaves (you can mix in some parsley, which doesn't really affect the taste, but helps the pesto stay brilliantly green)
1/2c grated Parmesan
2T soft butter
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil

In food processor: Process garlic, salt, and pine nuts until fairly finely chopped, then add the basil and olive oil. When smooth, add the cheese and butter and process to combine.

I s'pose you could put it on pasta, too.

No comments: