Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Have I Created a Vegetarian?

They say you shouldn't lie to your kids; that you should just give them enough information to answer the question without too much detail. Eamonn (the four-year-old) has been very interested in the source of food (how do they make oranges? what's in cookies?), and I've been happy to tell him where things came from. Smug locavore-mommy gets to say, "Oh, the eggs are from Jackie's farm" or "The cheese is from that town we drive past on the way home from Gram's(Monroe)."

We had roast beef for Xmas dinner at my parents'. Eamonn took one look at his slice (not even medium rare) and asked where does this meat come from. So I told him it came from a cow. "How do you get it from a cow," he asked suspiciously.

Pause. Everyone looked at me--"Uh, they cut it off the cow," I tried to answer nonchalantly.

"When he's alive?!?" Eamonn asked with horror--how the kid knows it was a steer, I don't know. He's not great with pronouns, though, so maybe it was a lucky guess.

"No, no," I assured him. "When it's dead."

The piece of roast beast in questions remained on the side of the plate, chilling and becoming more disgusting-looking, in light of the aforementioned conversation. Eamonn wouldn't touch it.

What have I done?


2 comments:

Jenn said...

When my oldest was about 2 1/2 she started a meat strike. For no reason other than the fact she didn't like the texture or taste. She hasn't eaten meat since. I'm not vegetarian though I try to eat mostly as such. The only person in her life that is strictly a veggie is my brother who just celebrated 7 years since going veggie. He doesn't live near and isn't a pushy veggie so I don't think his choice has influenced my daughter, though it has helped her find comfort in her decision when people question how "smart" it is for me to allow her to be a vegetarian. She simply made her own choice and we respect that totally. She will now proudly tell you she's a vegetarian, what that means, and why she chooses not to eat meat and grabs an extra slice of cheese from the sandwich tray at the party. It has been interesting working her choice into our family meals, especially since her younger sister often requests pancakes and BACON for weekend breakfasts. She will also tell you her big sister is a vegetarian and then grabs another piece of ham.

Brenda P. said...

I have a sneaking suspicious that Veg might be in my future. I hear the tough stuff is keeping the protein/iron numbers high enough. How nice that your girls are willing to work around each other...